Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A cake a day...the last recipe!

A cake a day...the last recipe!

I hope you have all enjoyed my cake recipes I have been sharing with you over the last week or so and even better, hope you have made some and enjoyed eating them. This recipe today, is the last of the cakes I made for my husbands birthday, the Vanilla Sponge with Milk Chocolate Icing we had with my family on the tuesday night! This cake was delicious and I did change the recipe as I wanted to use spelt flour and had some chocolate so made a milk chocolate icing rather than just a plain icing.



This recipe comes from a very lovely cookbook I own, called Afternoon Tea! It has the best recipes and is very pretty!




Like i said earlier, I did change the original recipe slightly. To make this cake you will need:
1/4 cup milk
125gm butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tbs spelt flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup spelt flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a round cake tin. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters for 6 minutues. Pour mixture into tin and bake for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack and make the icing.



For the icing,
Mix 3 tbs icing sugar
60 gm butter
some hot water
melted milk chocolate in a bowl until the flavour is to your liking. If it needs more butter add butter or more sugar add sugar. Make sure the mixture is not too runny that it will run off the cake.

Once cake is cooled, ice the cake and decorate if you wish. I placed a doily on mine and dusted with cocoa powder.



This cake really is delicious and I suggest making a chocolate icing as it is soo good! As I had mentioned in my first post about cakes, we stopped cake eating on the wednesday night. I did not make the wednesday cake, a carrot cake, that was given to us by some of the people we share a community meal with.

So we had banana cake, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate ganache cake, double chocolate brownies and now vanilla sponge with milk chocolate icing and carrot cake!

How many cakes have you enjoyed for one celebration!!??

Taz





1 comment: