Monday, November 5, 2012

Strawberry and Balsamic Vinegar Ice Cream

Ice Cream time again! My hubby decided recently, to give me ice cream flavour challenges. He gave me the challenge of making strawberry(my favourite flavour) and balsamic vinegar(not such a favourite food) ice cream. I was unsure, but thought, why not! We've heard on all those cooking shows that those two are a match made in heaven! I did some internet searching for how much vinegar other people had used and came up with a very tasty strawberry icecream but with something else you couldn't put your finger on flavour but wanted to eat more and more. I think this was good, as vinegar is not my favourite thing to taste, but it made plain strawberries very interesting..in a good way!

 
 

I used my normal ice cream base recipe, frozen strawberries that I thawed. Had a bottle of locally made basamic vinegar and away I went. Here's the recipe!

You will need:
300 ml full cream milk
50 gm rapadura sugar or any sugar you like
1 egg, well beaten
225 ml full fat cream
260 gm strawberries, fresh or thawed and chopped into chuncks
25 ml balsamic vinegar

First make your custard. In a saucepan, over med/low heat, mix the milk, sugar and egg. Stir until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and let cool.

Place the strawberries and balsamic vinegar in a seperate bowl. Mix well and let it mingle for 30 minutes.

 
 
Once the strawberries have been sitting for 30 min, and the custard is cool, add the strawberries to the custard mixture and whiz up well, with a stick blender. You could leave it chunky by just stirring it by hand but I wanted a smooth ice cream.
 
 
 
Then stir in the cream with a spoon.
 
 
 
Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and churn for 20-30 minutes. Then scoop it into a large plastic container and freeze til you are ready to eat it. If you dont have a icecream maker, pour into your large plastic container and freeze. Stir well every hour until the ice crystles are gone and its a smooth creamy mixture.
 
 
 

 
We found this icecream even more delicious served with a piece of shortbread. I may do a strawberry shortcake icecream as biscuit and strawberries do go well!
 
If you like this iceream or would like to try another, i've got recipes for roasted almond and caramel icecream and vanilla and passionfruit icecream.
 
 
Enjoy!
 
Taz





No comments:

Post a Comment